Fl. 2, No.7, Lane 56, Sec. 3,
Hsin-Sheng South Road
Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
In 1982, a small group of professional women in Taipei decided to put
out a monthly magzine, Awakening (Fu Nu Shin Chih), in order to supplement
their informal discussions with an organization that would raise female
consciousness, encourage self-development and voice feminist opinions.
Mainly dependent on personal donations,volunteer work and very limited
subscriptions, it has had a long struggle for survival before finally
gaining social support and recognition. In mid-1987, its executive committee
passed a resolution to raise enough fund to register itself as the Awakening
Foundation so that ie would have a better financial structure and be abele
to organize women more effectively. In October, 1987, the Awakening
Foundation was formally organized.
- To promote concern about women's issues and to vocalize women's opinions.
- To raise female consciousness and to encourage self-development.
- To offer assistance to women in need.
- To work toward an equal, just, humane and harmonious society for both sexes.
Our Regular Activities:
- Publishing the monthly magazine, the Awakening, and books concerning
women's issues and gender relations.
- Arranging for the general public large-scale activites corresponding to
the foundation's objectives, such activities may include exhibitions,
lectures, seminars, group discussions, etc.
- Giving press conferences and public speeches and taking immediate actions
in response to current social events concerning women's rights.
- Conducting training programs for members and other interested people to
elevate understanding of women's situations and of other social issues.
Taiwan Women's Forum